A LANGUAGE AND CULTURAL IMMERSION PROGRAM FOR MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS
To give Medical Professionals (Nurses, Doctors, Students and Faculty) the opportunity to improve Spanish Language skills, to enhance cultural awareness, and to learn about the Medical Profession in Costa Rica.
- To improve language skills (levels may range from low beginning through high advanced).
- To improve \ provide specific vocabulary and communication methods to work with Latino patients.
- To enhance cultural awareness by offering lectures about the Latin culture.
- To give the opportunity to live with host families, which enhances cultural understanding and language acquisition.
- To provide information about the health care system in Central America.
- To provide the opportunity to experience the health care system in Costa Rica by scheduling visits to local hospital or clinics.
- To give the opportunity to practice Spanish by participating in field trips and excursions.
Not included, but available:
Half day excursions, Full day excursions and Multi day excursions to areas of Costa Rica: volcanoes, rain-forest, national parks, biological reservations, beaches, extreme sports, others.
This two-week Spanish immersion program for medical professionals includes 40 hours of Spanish instruction, and 20 hours of professional practice in hospitals or clinics in the area, and other related activities. The maximum amount of students in each Spanish class is 4 students.
These classes are comprised of three components:
1. Emphasis on conversation.
2. Vocabulary specifically focused in the area of medicine.
3. Activities that will give the learner practice with the everyday needs of Latino patients.
During the first week the participants will have classes during the afternoon hours and will have the opportunity to participate in different excursions in the mornings. Also, they can participate in a Latin dance class and a cooking class, which will focus on local dishes. Some visits are scheduled during this first week.
Spanish classes will be in the afternoon in order for the participants to work in the hospital or clinics during the mornings. Also, there will be a work in the field arranged in an area nearby the school.
The Practicum in the Hospital or Clinics:
The students, either individually or in pairs, will assist in the daily consultations of the doctors and medical staff in the hospital or clinics. They will be able to practice their Spanish while interacting with patients. The doctor in charge will make the decision as to what the full extent of the involvement with the patient will be.
The Work in the Field
This will consist of a visit to a nearby school. The students, with their own instruments, will do an examination of each child: weight, height, vital sign measurements, scoliosis and vision screening, and physical examinations (depending on equipment). Each student must be able to explain, in Spanish, the results of this examination to the group.
Program Dates and Fees
|Since we do not have established dates for this program, we are very flexible. Meaning, we can offer this program year-round. We only need a minimum of 4 students who will register and pay the deposit. In other words, you can create your own group and take advantage of this fantastic program while learning the Spanish language in one of the happiest and most beautiful countries on earth.
Do not hesitate in contacting us for more detailed information or to start planning your trip.
Program fee includes the following:
|Shuttle from and to the Airport||San Jose International Airport (SJO)|
|Accommodations||Two meals daily (breakfast and dinner) and laundry service. Staying in a villa does not include any meal.|
|Classes||Cooking and dance classes|
|Study materials||Language workbook and other cultural materials|
|Internet Access||Computer lab and Wi – Fi available in the campus school and Wi – Fi at the villas.|
|Tour of the city||Learn about local attractions and points of interest|
Not included in the fee
The cost of airfare and any tour or excursion such as jungle tour, etc.
ACCE Contact Information: Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org