Program for Educators
– A Language and Cultural Immersion Program for Educators (Elementary and High School) –
ACCE invites you to enjoy a holistic experience in Cosa Rica, practicing Spanish and exploring a beautiful country.
To give educators and teachers the opportunity to improve their Spanish language skills, as they immerse themselves in a program customized to their needs.
- To improve attendees’ academic language skills in Spanish (levels may range from low beginner through high advanced).
- To give attendees the opportunity to practice the Spanish language, as they assist local teacher at the elementary or a high school levels.
- To enhance attendees’ cultural understanding as they have the opportunity to live with a host family in our community.
This program is scheduled for a minimum of three weeks, but participants are able to extend the experience if they desire. They can prolong the number of weeks of the Spanish classes or the number of weeks of the internship. The attendees decide when to attend the program. This three-week program will provide a total of 40 hours of Spanish classes and one week of internship in an elementary or high school setting. The program is open to any person who works or study in the education field (early childhood, primary or high school). Each Spanish class has a maximum of four students and comprehend the four language skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing) but the emphasis is on speaking.
First Saturday: Arrival
First Monday: Initial orientation and placement test
First 2 weeks: Monday – Friday: Spanish classes (20 hours per week)
Third week: Monday – Friday: Internship (20 hours per week approximately)
Last Saturday: Departure
Spanish Classes: The program offers Spanish classes for any level, from low beginner through high advanced. On the first day of classes the students complete a placement test so they will start at their adequate level. The program includes a minimum of two weeks of Spanish classes (4 hours per day).
The internship: The tuition includes one week of internship in a local elementary or high school. During this week the attendee will continue staying with the same host family or at the villa. The interns will practice the Spanish language as they assist a local teacher in a school setting. ACCE will match the interest of the attendee with their grade level or subject.
Extending the experience: If the student wants to take more than two weeks of Spanish classes, it is possible. As well as extending the internship in the local school for more than one week.
ACCE offers the program all year round except during December, January, February and July because this is the vacation time in Costa Rica.
Program fees for 3 weeks:
- Program/Host family $1,115.00 – This option is highly suggested for program attendees.
- Program/Campus villas $1,025.00*
- Program/Host family $1,175.00
- Program/Campus villas $1,080.00*
*Get CEU’s!: You can receive 20 CEU’s (Continuing Education Units) through Homestead Schools for attending that program.
Extending the stay:
Register for additional weeks of Spanish classes or internship and receive a 10% discount on extra weeks.
- Shuttle from and to the Airport: San Jose International Airport (SJO).
- 40 hours of Spanish classes.
- Accommodations: (Homestay) Two meals daily (breakfast and dinner) and laundry service.
(Villa)*Staying in a villa does not include any meal.
- Study materials: Language workbook and other materials for the Spanish classes.
- Internet access: Computer lab and Wi – Fi available in the campus school and villas.
- Tour of the city: Learn about local attractions and points of interest.
Not included in this fee
- The cost of airfare and any tour or excursion such as jungle tour, etc.